Increased Risks for People with Diabetes
It is very important for people who have diabetes to make heart-healthy food choices because of their increased risk for cardiovascular complications. When compared to people without diabetes, people with diabetes have:
- Twice the risk of developing cardiovascular disease
- Twice the risk of having a heart attack
- A greater chance of having a second heart attack
- A greater chance of dying from a heart attack
- Four times the risk of having a stroke
Women with diabetes are particularly susceptible to these complications, and have a greater risk of death from heart attacks and strokes than men with diabetes.
This site was last updated June, 2014.
This is a source of information only, and is not medical advice.