[Skip to Content]
- Check your shoes. Employers watch the type of shoes that you wear.
- Simple pumps are the best bet. Never wear sandals, neither flat nor heels, even if they are dressy.
- The color of your shoe should match, not contrast, your outfit. Wear beige, black, brown, navy or gray. Do not wear bright colors like red, yellow or gold.
- Gym or sports shoes are a definite no-no even if the job has an informal atmosphere.
- Stockings must always be worn on a job interview. Never wear socks.
- Stockings should be sheer and match the outfit that you wear. They can match your skin tone or be neutral toned (cream, black, brown, navy or gray) to match, but not contrast, your outfit.
- Patterned, printed, seamed or colored stockings should not be worn.
- Jewelry, when tastefully worn, is always an asset to your outfit. A beautiful pin or a favorite bracelet can add to your outfit and can help you feel comfortable.
- Do avoid wearing too much jewelry. This means wearing one bracelet or one necklace instead of many. Wearing too many rings can distract from your total appearance. As a rule wear, only three pieces of jewelry at one time, not counting your watch.
- Be cautious of wearing dangling earrings unless they are small. Also, do not wear multiple earrings.
- Leave the nose rings, eyebrow rings, lip rings and other piercing at home.
- White or beige undergarments should be worn. Only wear black or dark undergarments under dark clothing. Never go without wearing undergarments.
- Check the mirror to make certain that your bra straps or slip is not showing.