Hygiene, Skin and Nail Care
What is good grooming? It is knowing what to do and putting it into practice on a daily basis. Good grooming starts before you put on your clothing. Good grooming:
- means taking care of your hair, skin, face, hands and your total body.
- can lift your morale and help increase your self-esteem.
- means that you are taking care of yourself, and that is important!
Hygiene and Skin Care
Hygiene is an ongoing task.
- Bathe or shower daily. Rinse or wash your face at least two times a day.
- Brush and floss daily. Use mouthwash or rinse with diluted baking soda if mouthwash is not available.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your insides clean. This will also help to keep your skin fresh on the outside.
- Remove underarm and leg hair regularly. Also, remove any facial hairs as they appear. A depilatory or a bleaching cream may be needed if you have heavy facial growth.
- Wear very little or no perfume.
A word about tattoos. They have become very popular and are worn by both older and young women. It is recommended that the tattoo should be covered with clothing, if possible, for the job interview.
Hands and Nails
Your hands talk for you! They should be clean and smooth. Keep a small bottle of lotion to keep your hands moisturized.
Give Yourself a Manicure
You can have your nails professionally done or you can do them yourself. Here’s how:
- Gently shape nails with an emery board.
- Soak hands and nails for about two minutes in warm soapy water.
- Gently push back and remove cuticles with an orange stick or towel.
- Wash hands and lightly scrub to remove remaining cuticle.
- Rub a light oil or cream into fingers, nails and cuticles to help moisturize.
- If you wish, finish with a clear or neutral color nail polish.
Practice giving a good handshake. This is especially important for a woman. A good handshake is firm but not tight, grasping the person’s whole hand. Smile and look at the person while you shake hands. You may have to make the first gesture toward a handshake, because some individuals feel uncertain about shaking a woman’s hand. Nails should be nicely manicured. Nails should be slightly rounded or squared and medium to short in length. Nail polish can be worn, but the polish should be clear or closely matching your skin tone.
- Do not wear highly decorated and long nails on a job interview. If you have nails professionally manicured, request a natural look that has a clean and conservative length (about 1/2 inch) and natural color.
- A natural color nail polish is preferable.