- Toast the chiles in an oven at 200ºF for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently
so they do not burn. Remove the seeds and stems.
- Put the chiles and water into a medium pan. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the chiles with some of the cooking water into a blender. Puree and then
strain. Discard the peels and seeds.
- Add the remaining cooking water to strained chile along with garlic, oregano
- Place pork steaks either whole or cut into chunks in glass baking dish. Top
with the chile. Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Roast in 350° oven for 40-60 minutes. Or pan fry in nonstick skillet on top
of the stove. (Check if done by using a digital instant read thermometer. Temperature
should be at least 160°F.)
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension