Cebollita (Nicaraguan Pickled Onions)
- You will need one 1-quart jar
- 1 large white onion (about 2 cups sliced)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- jalapeño chilies
- Handle fresh chilies with care, slice jalapeños very thinly.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt; whisk until sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Add onions and jalapeños to pickling mixture, place in 1-quart jar.
- To pickle: store in refrigerator for 2-3 days, stirring occasionally.
- Pickled onions will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension
<- fold here