Chayotes Stuffed with Cheese
- 6 small chayotes (christophine), cut in half, lengthwise
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup low fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- Wash chayotes and bring to a boil in water. Cover and boil at moderate heat for about 1 hour or until fork-tender.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Drain chayotes, remove cores and fibrous part under cores. Scoop out pulp, being careful not to break shells. Place shells on cookie sheet.
- Immediately mash pulp and mix with cheese, salt, and margarine.
- Stuff shells with the mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
From Flavors of Fiesta by University of Illinois Extension
<- fold here