University of Illinois Extension

Claim Your Tax Credit

If you are a working grandparent raising a grandchild, you may qualify for income tax credits that lower the amount of income tax that you owe. You may qualify for any of these credits:

  • Earned Income Tax Credit - A tax credit to workers who are raising children
  • Child and Dependent Care Credit - A credit for families who must pay for childcare in order to work or look for work.
  • Child Tax Credit - A credit for families who claimed a qualifying child on last year's federal income tax return.

For more details, check with VITA, an IRS volunteer program to help low-income workers fill out their tax forms. Call 1-800-TAX-1040 for VITA locations in your area. Or call the AARP TaxAide program, 1-888-227-7669. Both are free calls.