University of Illinois Extension

Need Help with Child Care Expenses?

Do you need financial help with child care expenses? The State may be able to help. If you work outside the home, are enrolled in a training or education program, or have other special needs for child care, you might qualify for subsidized child care.

Qualifications are based on family size and income. You pay a portion of your child care fees based on your family's income and other factors. The portion you pay to the child care provider is set according to state guidelines.

If you qualify, you can choose child care centers or home child care already funded by the State, or you can choose your own child care provider.

If you think you qualify for subsidized child care, contact the Child Care Resource and Referral service in your county. Or, call the Department of Human Services, 1-800-843-6154, to locate the referral service in your area.

Source: Starting Points for Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, 1999