University of Illinois Extension

Financial Assistance for Children Only

The Illinois Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) program offers help to children who have been deprived of parental support. With a Child Only Grant from TANF your grandchildren automatically get medical assistance. If you are a working grandparent, you can also get daycare paid for the children, with no co-payment. You do NOT have to be the guardian to receive benefits and your income and assets are not counted in the child's eligibility. For details about a Child Only Grant, call your local Illinois Department of Human Services.