University of Illinois Extension

Help Available for Child Care Costs

Summer is just around the corner, and you may need to find day care for your school-age grandchildren. Child care costs can be expensive, but help may be available if you qualify.

The information below is from the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services:

  • The State may be able to help with your child care costs if you are employed, are in a training or education program, or have other special needs for child care.
  • All families must qualify for subsidized child care based on family size and income.
  • Qualified parents may choose either centers or home networks already funded by the state, or they may choose their own providers.
  • You are required to pay a portion of the fee based on your family's income and other factors. The portion you pay is set according to state guidelines, and you pay only that amount.

If you think you may qualify for subsidized child care, contact the Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) in your county to find out the current eligibility guidelines.

To locate your CCR&R office, call the Department of Human Services at:

1-800-843-6154 or TTY: 1-800-447-6404.