Get Active, Stay Active
Summer is a great time for you and your grandkids to get active. Use these summer shape-up tips to build strong minds and bodies.
- Jump-start each morning with breakfast. Breakfast fuels your mind and body, and it gives you energy for work and play.
- Use the Food Guide Pyramid for summer eating. Choose most of your foods from the bottom half of the pyramid; these foods are lower in fat and higher in fiber.
- Eat fruits and vegetables every day to help reduce the risk of cancer and other diseases. Aim for 5-a-day.
- Keep on moving. Regular physical activity is a powerful habit. It's fun, and it helps strengthen your heart and other muscles.
- Exercise your mind. Make reading a habit all summer long. Encourage your school-age grandkids to take the reading challenge of one book per week.