Large flowers in late summer (flowers may be single or double; white, red, purple or pink).
Full sun to partial shade; moist, well-drained soil; tolerant of alkaline soils.
Numerous cultivars including:
- 'Aphrodite' - Dark pink flowers with a dark red center.
- 'Ardens' - Double rosy purple flowers.
- 'Blue Bird' - Sky blue flowers with a small red center.
- 'Diana' - Pure white flowers.
- 'Jeanne d'Arc' - Double white flowers.
- 'Lucy' - Double red flowers.
- 'Red Heart' - White flowers with red center.
5 - 8
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Leaf spots, cankers, blight, aphids, Japanese beetles, and whitefly are possible.
Annual pruning in early spring will improve flowering.