Mostly affects broadleaf plants; however, some grassy plants can also show injury.
The list below of specific plants is NOT all inclusive. It reflects the authors' experience as well as University of Illinois herbicide injury research trial results.
These herbicides inhibit key enzymes in various amino acid synthesis pathways.
- Imidazolinones: imazaquin (Scepter, Image), imazapic (Plateau), imazapyr (Arsenal, Chopper), imazethapyr (Pursuit), imazamox (Raptor).
- Sulfonylureas: chlorimuron (Classic), primisulfuron (Beacon), thifensulfuron (Harmony GT), nicosulfuron (Accent), halosulfuron (Permit, Sedgehammer), and tribenuron (Express).
- Triazolopyrimidine sulfonanilides: flumetsulam (Python) and cloransulam (First Rate)
Characteristics of activity:
- Translocation in both xylem and phloem.
Symptoms of injury:
- Stunted plants.
- Leaf yellowing or chlorosis of leaf margins, purpling of new leaves first.
- Slow plant death.
- Early symptoms may appear similar to potassium deficiency.