Full sun to partial shade; mulch to keep root system cool and moist; the evergreen foliage needs to be protected from drying winds, especially in winter.
- 'Wintergreen' - Hardy to zone 5, bright green foliage that is less prone to winter discoloration.
Hybrids between Buxus microphylla var. koreana and Buxus sempervirens:
- 'Glencoe' (Chicagoland Green®)- Maintains good color in winter, 2-3 feet tall
- 'Green Gem' - Maintains good color in winter, mounded habit; 2 feet tall
- 'Green Mountain' - Foliage turns bronze in winter, habit is more upright than other hybrids
- 'Green Mound' - Mounded habit, 3 feet tall
- 'Green Velvet' - Rounded habit, 4 feet tall
5 - 9
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Mites, scale, leaf miners, mealybugs and webworms are possible. Canker, leaf blight and leaf spot are possible. Success in growing boxwood in zone 5 depends on careful selection of winter hardy cultivars; winter injury and sun scald are common injuries seen on this evergreen shrub.