Full sun to partial shade; mulch to keep root system cool and moist; does well in alkaline soils; the evergreen foliage needs to be protected from drying winds in winter.
- 'Suffruiticosa' - Compact, slow growing, 3-4 feet tall
Hybrids between Buxus microphylla var. koreana and Buxus sempervirens:
- 'Glencoe' (Chicagoland Green®)- Maintains good color in winter, 2-3 feet tall.
- 'Green Gem' - Maintains good color in winter, mounded habit; 2 feet tall.
- 'Green Mountain' -Foliage turns bronze in winter, habit is more upright than other hybrids.
- 'Green Mound' - Mounded habit, 3 feet tall.
- 'Green Velvet' - Rounded habit, 4 feet tall.
5 - 8
Insect Relative Damage
Additional pests and problems that may affect this plant:
Canker, leaf blight, leaf spot, mites, scale, leaf miners, mealy bugs and webworms are possible problems.
Success in growing boxwood in zone 5 depends on careful selection of winter hardy cultivars; winter injury and sun scald are common injuries seen on this evergreen shrub.