Statewide Learning Standards for Third Through Fifth Grades
- Read with understanding and fluency of the biological life
- Clarify word meaning using context clues and a variety of
resources including glossaries, dictionaries and thesauruses
to know the basic vocabulary of entomology, insect anatomy and
reproduction told through a guided study of insects.
- Establish purpose for reading; survey materials; ask questions;
make predications; connect, clarify and extend ideas about the
- Use the language arts to acquire, access, and communicate
information about insects and metamorphosis.
- Formulate questions and construct a basic research plan in
studying and comparing insects.
- Organize and integrate information from a variety of sources
(e.g., books, interviews, library reference materials, web-sites,
- Understand the processes of scientific inquiry and technological
design to investigate questions, conduct experiments, and solve
- Collect data for investigations using scientific process
skills including observing, estimating and measuring insects,
cocoons, eggs and nymphs.
- Report and display the results of individual and group investigations.
- Understand the fundamental concepts, principles, and interconnections
of life through the study of metamorphosis as well as beneficial
and pest insects.
- Describe simple life cycles of plants and animals and the
similarities and differences in their offspring.
- Identify physical features of insects that help them live
in different environments.
- Describe how living things depend on one another for survival.
- Describe artistic expression of self and others through interactive
activities in CP's Fun Place.
- Identify and describe the elements of 2- and 3-dimensional
space by developing models of insects.
- Collect, organize and analyze data using statistical methods;
predict results; and interpret uncertainty using concepts of
- Organize, describe and make predictions about the number
of insects in a given area.
- Formulate questions, design data collection methods, gather
and analyze data and communicate findings by using the various
learning activities to study insects.
| Statewide Standards | Getting
Ready | Classroom Activities
Return to Let's Talk About Insects