Extension Educator, Horticulture
330 S. 36th St
Quincy, IL 62301
Kari Houle is the Horticulture Educator for Unit 14 - Adams, Brown, Hancock, Pike & Schuyler Counties. She brings practical experience working in the green industry as well as teaching experience from Western Illinois University and Illinois Central College.
Responsibilities include providing horticultural programming within Unit 14 as well as working with other staff members in Unit 14 and outside the unit to provide programming as needed.
Kari has a B.S. in Agricultural Business with an emphasis in Horticulture and a M.S. in Education focused in Adult Education, Urban Forestry, and Horticulture from Western Illinois University. Her experiences with in the horticulture industry also include garden centers, nurseries, and golf courses. She is a member of the International Society of Arboriculture and an ISA Certified Arborist IL-9476A.
Kari's specialties for program offerings include woody ornmentals, urban forestry, Emerald Ash Borer, vegetables, annuals, and perennials.
Programs offerings include:
- Emerald Ash Borer for Homeowners and Communities
- Crazy About Container Gardening
- Spark of Pizazz with Annuals
- Power Perennials
- Herbs in the Garden: Growing, Storing, and Incorporating
- Get Up and Get Growing program series
- Warm Season Vegetables
- Cool Season Vegetables
- Insects and Diseases in the Vegetable Garden
- Growing Herbs in Containers
- Introduction to Pruning
- Vegetable Gardening in Containers
- Busting Garden Myths
- The Good, The Bad, & The Lovely - Invasive Plants and Species of Concern
- Fabulous Fall Plants
- Ornamental Grasses in the Landscape
- Vegetable Gardening 101 (2 hour session)
- Healthy Garden Soils
- Stay Cool: Garden in the Shade
- Spectacular Spring Bulbs
<< Return to Staff Listing