What are your memories of your school days? Do you remember school as fun, boring, exciting, a time to be with friends? Some children experience a great deal of stress associated with school.
What would you say might be some things that trigger school stress?
- being bullied
- having work incomplete or turning work in late
- not knowing the answer
- being slow in sports
- not having fashionable clothes (having out-of-date clothes)
- losing papers and books
- having inadequate school supplies
What are some of the symptoms of stress in children?
- impulsive behavior
- fear, anxiety, worry
- sleep problems
How can we help children deal with and overcome school related stress?
- have realistic expectations for the child
- teach them some simple relaxation techniques
- help them identify their learning style and ways to learn information
- provide nutritious meals
- get plenty of sleep
- cut down on chaos at home--where's my shoe, my book bag, etc.
- don't over commit the child with too many extra activities
- manage time wisely
- spend time having fun
- prepare for tests and discussions
- be available to listen to the child