Brought to you by Forest Preserves of Cook County and partners.
“Attendees” will learn about the journeys of migratory birds, how we study them, examine the threats they face along the way, and what we can do in our own communities and at home to protect them. #WMBD2020.
The 2020 World Migratory Bird Day theme is “Birds Connect Our World.”
Highlights of the virtual festival include:
- A Facebook Live bird banding demonstration discussing the routes of migratory birds across the globe and what technology is being used to track these birds.
- Information on the threats that birds face during their migratory flights and what people can do at home to protect them.
- A Global Big Day birding event, where the public is invited to bird their own home or natural area (where social distancing is possible) and record bird sightings on eBird.
- Meeting resident birds of prey from Forest Preserves nature centers.
- Lessons on identifying commonly seen birds and what individuals can do to attract them to backyards and neighborhoods through gardening, bird houses, feeders, and providing nest making materials.
The festival will also include fun and educational activities for people of all ages to celebrate birds including bird bingo, bird-mask making, and a Dress Like a Bird challenge—the public can even have their own migratory bird ‘race’ at home!
For a full schedule of programs and activities, visit Forest Preserves of Cook County website.
Gardening for the Birds
If You Plant it They Will Come - A Plant to Attract Birds
The Full Schedule of Activities and Events