University of Illinois Extension
Disaster Resources - University of Illinois Extension

Getting Help After a Disaster

These resources may useful to disaster victims who need information on the kinds of disaster assistance they might qualify for and how they would apply for assistance.

Disaster Assistance describes individual assistance programs and how people can get help following a disaster, including common questions people might have (FEMA).

Before You Call for Federal Flood Relief includes information about what you should know about the insurance claim process and the kind of information you will need to have before calling for federal flood relief.

Federal Taxes and Flood Losses

Home Insurance Tips After a Disaster

Household and Personal Property Inventory Book
from the University of Illinois Extension is a comprehensive 60 page guide (in Adobe Acrobat PDF format, 639K) on how to prepare a household inventory that will help in making insurance claims or documenting losses for tax purposes. Includes forms and instructions, along with insurance advise and a listing of agencies and organizations who can provide additional information and answers to insurance questions. Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader

Small Business Adminstration Disaster Loans includes information about the federal SBA Disaster Loan program for homes and businesses, including: a general description of the program, types of loans and amounts available, limitations, requirements, application deadlines, and frequently asked questions (Small Business Administration).

Emergency Loan Assistance (Farm Service Agency)
FSA provides low-interest EM loan assistance to eligible farmers to help cover production and physical losses in counties declared as disaster areas by the President or designated by the Secretary of Agriculture. The FSA Administrator may also authorize EM loan assistance to cover physical losses only.

Natural Disaster Assistance from the USDA
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides many types of assistance to farmers and other rural residents, as the result of natural disasters such as drought, fire, flood, storm, earthquake, hurricane, tornado, and volcanic eruption. There is also assistance available to producers who suffer losses as a result of crop or livestock disease or pest infestation.

Scroll to TopScroll to Top