Learn how Illinois is connecting farms and cities across the state.
Are you up to the challenge?
Pesticide Safety Education Program
New Resource for Hemp Growers
Commercial Agriculture is a broad and diverse area of study. We've organized our resources into several topical themes to help you dig more deeply into your areas of interest. From educational curriculum units to websites devoted to deeply exploring a single topic area, our resource collection represents best practices based on both proven and emerging research and the work of our professional education staff.
Illinois Manure Management Plan (IMMP)
Additional Livestock Resources
- Composting Central: Clearinghouse for resources about composting
- Manure Central Resources: About the production and management of livestock manure
- Small Farms Manure Management: Resources for livestock producers with facilities that have fewer than 300 animal units
- Swine Waste Economical and Environmental Treatment Alternatives (SWEETA): Economic comparisons of using inorganic fertilizer, raw slurry, and compost as a soil amendment for corn production
Crop Sciences Research and Education Center
Additional Crops Resources
- Pesticide Safety Education Program: Fact sheets, newsletters and training information about pesticide safety.
- Bioreactor, Water Table Management and Water Quality: Information about limiting nutrient loading into surface waters and managing soil moisture during drought conditions
- Bioreactores, control de la napa freática y calidad del agua: El drenaje controlado y los bioreactores pueden utilizarse para limitar la cantidad de nutrientes que pasan a las aguas superficiales y sirven para manejar la humedad del suelo durante las sequías
- Illinois Drought Resources: Resources developed during the widespread drought of 2012.
- Soybean Rust Tracker: County-level map of the U.S. showing confirmed soybean rust incidence for the current year
Research and Analysis
Agricultural Safety and Health
Additional Research and Analysis Resources
- Northwestern Illinois Agricultural R&D Center: 320-acre facility, established in 1980 near Monmouth in Warren County
- Orr Agricultural R&D Center: 478 acres of cropland, pasture and woodland located in western Illinois
- Dixon Springs Agricultural Center: 5,100 acres in Pope County. Research at DSAC includes observation trials of vegetable crops within high tunnels, beef cattle reproductive physiology, forest ecology, soil health, forestry policy, and invasive species control.
- The Dudley Smith Initiative: Innovative research and outreach that advances innovations within the agricultural system
- Variety Testing Program: Annual crop performance tests to agronomic information on hybrids and varieties of the major Illinois field crops
- Illinois IDEA: Research, education, and services that encourage farmers to adopt entrepreneurial marketing strategies
- EZregs: Interpretation of Illinois agricultural and horticultural regulations
Certified Livestock Manager Training
- Acres of Knowledge: All issues concerning Small Farms, Agriculture, Local Food Systems, and the Natural Resources.
- The Ag Engineering Update: The latest and greatest from your livestock engineers.
- Around the County: Frequent information updates for agricultural audiences.
- The Cattle Blog: Beef production tips and livestock industry updates.
- The Cattle Connection: The cattlemen's connection to timely topics, current research, and profitable management strategies.
- Straight Stalk: Current crop information updates and research highlights.