The University of Illinois Extension offered the Hemp Grower Spotlight Webinar Series this spring. This webinar series served as a platform for our local producers and allowed other growers, agribusiness professionals, university and private industry to come together to discuss agriculture. Our featured guests discussed their operations in detail, and these programs allowed participants to ask questions throughout to help gain valuable insight from those with experience.
The goal of this webinar series is to provide a review of the biggest lessons learned from the 2019 season. Knowing the ins and outs of this industry before getting involved will be critical to success in this new market. A large portion of the program focuses on the lessons learned with regards to planting methods, fertility, harvest, and storage.
The webinar series has been recorded and is available by clicking the links below:
High Plains Grains and Green Harvest Solutions (March 31, 2020)
- Located in Northwest Illinois, they are experienced row crop producers and custom service providers who decided to give hemp a try in 2019. A video detailing Mechanized CBD Hemp Cultivation is also available and serves as a companion to the webinar
Clara Joyce Flowers (April 2, 2020)
- Located in Northwest Illinois, Clara Joyce Flowers is a specialty crop farm in the northwest corner of Illinois. Here at CJF we focus on growing high quality crops such as cut-flowers and blooming plants for the wholesale market, as well as CBD hemp.
- Drew Groezinger (Clarajoyceflowers@gmail.com)
Direct Seeding CBD Hemp in a Row Cropping System (March 26th, 2020)
- Collaboration between University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Michigan State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Colorado State University, and New West Genetics
American Hemp Research (April 6, 2020)
- American Hemp Research (Andy Huston) is located in Roseville, IL. Andy Huston is a 6th generation farmer in the west central Illinois community of Roseville. He and his brother Frank farm 2300 acres consisting of corn, soybeans, wheat, alfalfa, clover and industrial hemp. Andy is also completing the on farm processing of hemp into CBD crude oil for further distillation into the American Hemp Research CBD product line.
- Contact information: Americanhempresearch.com & Flyingfarmer40@gmail.com
Rock River Labs (April 14, 2020)
- Rock River Laboratory, Inc, and their spinoff cannabis testing company, Pride Analytics and Consulting, have been serving the laboratory needs of the agricultural community for more than 40 years. In 2019 they were the highest-volume hemp testing lab in Wisconsin with more than 3,500 samples processed. The laboratory and agricultural experience that they've brought to the hemp industry has allowed their leadership team to take an active role in steering the industry by assisting in standardization of testing procedures within the hemp industry and helping to ensure that future hemp legislation in the state has a firm scientific footing. In this Grower Spotlight, they will share the trends from the data collected in 2019 and take your questions about what to expect from testing labs in 2020 and beyond.
Sulcanna Grower Cooperative (April 17, 2020)
- Sulcanna Co occupies an historic manufacturing facility in NW Illinois’ Jo Daviess County. Their focus is on hemp horticulture, genetics development, extraction, and product formulation, and they offer marketing, branding, and distribution infrastructure to support farm-branded product sales. Sulcanna has formed Illinois’ only agricultural hemp cooperative, which consists exclusively of small scale hemp farmers looking to capitalize on their collective knowledge and tap into CBD and CBG retail price points.
Growing Hemp for Grain (April 28, 2020)
- In this webinar, you will learn from a Wisconsin Farmer’s experience growing hemp for grain. You will also learn about the agronomy of hemp grain production and the state of hemp grain production in the region. This event was a collaboration between Liberty Prairie Foundation, Legacy Hemp, Turtle Creek Gardens, and University of Illinois Extension.
Half Moon Hemp (May 12, 2020)
- Half Moon Hemp is a Midwest cloning company offering genetics tested for the Midwest. This webinar provide attendees with an overview of production of hemp clonal propagation, genetic selection, and compliance testing.