100 Manhattan Road
Joliet, IL 60433
Deloris Walker, MPH, CHES is an Educator for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) for the University of Illinois Extension in Outreach in the College of Agricultural, Consumer, and Environmental Sciences, as well as a cultural competence, diversity, equity, and inclusion facilitator for the University of Illinois. As a SNAP-Ed Educator, Deloris works on policy, system, and environmental change strategies around diet quality, physical activity, and food access to make the healthy choice the easy and accessible choice. Deloris’ SNAP-Ed work focuses on marginalized communities in Will, Kankakee, and Grundy counties. Deloris partners with schools, food banks, food pantries, early childhood providers, health departments, hospitals, and other stakeholders whose mission aligns with improving diet quality, physical activity, and food access in low-income communities.
As a cultural competence/DEI facilitator for the University, Deloris facilitates conversations that help participants reflect on their experiences, beliefs, and norms, and how that impacts how they view and interact inter and intra-culturally. Deloris works to make an impact on racial equity and social justice through challenging policies, practices, and norms that support and perpetuate systemic and institutional racism within the University, and among University stakeholders.
Prior to coming to Extension as a full-time Educator, Deloris interned with the University of Illinois Extension Community Health Team in Cook County while completing her master’s degree.
- Master of Public Health, Northern Illinois University
- Post-master certificate in Public Health Management, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Bachelor of Arts in Speech Communication with a minor in Spanish, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I-L-L!
Certifications & Professional memberships
- Certified Health Education Specialist, CHES
- Member of the Illinois Public Health Association (IPHA)
- Member of the Illinois Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (IEAFCS)
- Member of the National Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences (NEAFCS)
- Member of the University of Illinois Black Faculty and Professionals Alliance (BFAPA).
- Extension Excellence in Diversity Award, 2019