Specialty crops of all varieties add food, fun, and decorations to our everyday life, from pumpkins for Halloween to our favorite Farmers Markets veggies. Illinois Extension offers many resources for today's specialty crop growers, including exceptional webinars, tip sheets, and how-to videos.
Some facts from the Illinois Farm Bureau:
- Illinois is the top producer of pumpkins, and Morton is named the Pumpkin Capital of the World.
- Illinois produces two-thirds of horseradish in this country, and Collinsville is considered the Horseradish Capital of the World.
- Illinois is one of the top ten states for production of asparagus, cauliflower, fresh-cut herbs, green peas, lima beans, mustard greens, and snap peas.
- Specialty crops cover 100,000 acres of Illinois land.
- As the official snack of Illinois, popcorn is grown on more than 47,000 acres, making it the third largest state for popcorn production.