The Digital Divide Impacts Us all
From accessing health care services to expanding educational opportunities for all, access to fast, affordable, dependable internet is key to creating thrive communities for all residents. The process begins with understanding community need, working together, and assessing where gaps exist. Illinois Extension helps keep communities informed on strategies, funding opportunities, and resources for broadband development.
Illinois Extension’s Local Government Education (LGE) program partners with the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity’s Illinois Office of Broadband and the Benton Institute for Broadband & Society, in outreach aimed to extend critical high-speed internet access across the state. Our previous webinars covered:
- Connect Illinois, the nation’s largest infrastructure grant program
- Connect Illinois Infrastructure Grants
- Illinois Connected Communities grants
- Federal Funding Opportunities for Community Broadband
- New Funding Opportunities.
- Digital Equity Grants
- Digital Navigator Program.
- Benton Institute for Broadband and Society provided leadership in access, use, strategic planning, service assessments, community demand, broadband technology, feasibility studies, and project development.
Broadband Leadership Series 2021
“The digital divide is now centered in a spotlight because of COVID-19, with issues relating to poverty, healthcare, education, and economic opportunity.”
Lt. Governor Julianna Stratton, 2020 Broadband Leadership Webinar Series