The cooking and washing of mushrooms is a much asked-about topic at farmers markets and is frequently asked by grocery store personnel, health department staff, and educators alike. Luckily, there is a USDA resource that answers this question, the Mushroom Good Agricultural Practices guide.
- Since mushrooms are not considered a high-risk food (like meat/eggs), cooking them to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F should be sufficient.
University of Illinois Extension does NOT recommend the consumption of specialty/gourmet mushroom species in a raw state. All specialty/gourmet mushrooms should be thoroughly cooked prior to consumption.
- USDA does not recommend washing fruits or vegetables (including mushrooms) until just prior to serving, the philosophy being that washing produce and leaving it wet in storage somewhere could encourage any bacteria remaining on produce surface to grow.