McHenry County 4-H Horse Project
Horse Project Resources
- 2022-2023 McHenry County 4-H Horse Project Packet
- McHenry County 4-H Horse Project Videos
- 2022-2023 Horse Green Sheets
- Permission to Participate
- Horse Lease Form
- Upload ALL Horse forms to the Horse Box by May 1
For IL State Horse Events and Information: visit the state website
2023 Horse Show Information
- August 4, 2023
- 2022-2023 Horse Show Packet
What you NEED to know:
The 2022-2023 horse & pony project has the following requirements:
April 30: Enrolled in “Zsuites” with “Horse” project
May 1: Green sheets, permission to participate. All exhibitors participating in the 4-H Horse Show must have an approved green registration sheet with a picture of the horse or pony to be shown on file at the Extension office by May 1. Pictures of foals must be on file at the Extension office by July 15. NO substitution of horses or ponies can be made after deadline. Exhibitors may submit green sheets for up to five (5) horses or ponies.
July 15: Fair Enrollment is due online in “Fair Entry” Note: Horse Show only! All other projects should be entered by June 18th.
May – June: Week Night Warm-ups are moving to TUESDAYS beginning MAY 23
- To be eligible to show an equine at the 4-H horse show at the county fair, project members must meet all 4-H and horse project requirement of attendance at ONE week night warm-up with horse OR produce photo/video proof of horse show participation with a green sheeted horse and a show bill signed by a show manager AND at least ONE
July: 4-H/FFA Quality Assurance And Ethics certification paper. Ethics is available on-line and must be completed by July 1, 2023. All youth MUST take QAEC (Ethics) and Horse section at least ONE time as a 4-H member. http://web.extension.illinois.edu/qaec/
Negative Coggins Test conducted within last 12 months is required for all horses & ponies 12 months of age & older will be required at registration at the show.
Horse Project Hippology/Horse judging practice
Horse Sense Spin Club includes Hippology, Horse Bowl, and Horse Judging practice.
HORSE SENSE is the study group that gathers to study for Horse Bowl and Hippology.
- Anyone is welcome to drop in to study or give horse bowl and hippology a try. Study groups will be split between junior (ages 8-13) and senior (14-19).
- Topics covered may include: horse anatomy and physiology, diseases, evolution, behavior, nutrition, breeds, tack and equine activities.
- Teaching may include hands-on, question and answer, multiple choice tests, slide identification, etc.
- Study sessions will help prepare youth for horse bowl and hippology competition.
- Independent study will also be recommended.
You DO NOT need a horse to participate!
NEW to 4-H members are welcome to JOIN!
Please contact the Extension office for any questions or the Horse Bowl Coach, Lisa Kunzie at email@example.com