McHenry County 4-H Horse Project
2021 Horse Show Information
Horse Project Resources
- 2021-2022 McHenry County 4-H Horse Project Packet
- McHenry County 4-H Horse Project Videos
- 2021-2022 Horse Green Sheets
- Permission to Participate
- Horse Lease Form
- Upload ALL Horse forms to the Horse Box by May 1
For IL State Horse Events and Information: visit the state website
What you NEED to know:
The 2021-2022 horse & pony project has the following requirements:
April 29: Enrolled in “4HOnline” with “Horse” project
May 1: Green sheets, permission to participate. All exhibitors participating in the 4-H Horse Show must have an approved green registration sheet with a picture of the horse or pony to be shown on file at the Extension office by May TBA. Pictures of foals must be on file at the Extension office by July TBA. NO substitution of horses or ponies can be made after deadline. Exhibitors may submit green sheets for up to five (5) horses or ponies.
- 2020-2021 Horse Green Sheets
- Permission to Participate
- Upload ALL Horse forms to the Horse Box
June TBA: Fair Enrollment is due online in “Fair Entry”
May – June: Week Night Warm-ups are moving to MONDAYS beginning MAY 17
- To be eligible to show an equine at the 4-H horse show at the county fair, project members must meet all 4-H and horse project requirement of attendance at ONE week night warm-up with horse OR produce photo/video proof of horse show participation with a green sheeted horse and a show bill signed by a show manager AND at least ONE
July: 4-H/FFA Quality Assurance And Ethics certification paper. Ethics is available on-line and must be completed by July 1, 2022. All youth MUST take QAEC (Ethics) and Horse section at least ONE time as a 4-H member. http://web.extension.illinois.edu/qaec/
Negative Coggins Test conducted within last 12 months is required for all horses & ponies 12 months of age & older will be required at registration at the show.
MCHENRY COUNTY 4-H HORSEMASTER AWARD (Not applicable for 2021)
What is Horsemaster?
Horsemaster is a special award given to one junior and one senior horse project member who have shown the most interest and enthusiasm through their participation in all aspects of the horse project. Horsemasters are recognized on 4-H Night during the fair, and presented with an award. Horsemasters will also serve as the horse show color guard on show day. You do not need a horse to participate. Some dates below are TBD (to be determined). For competitions, please see the 2020 Horse Project Packet and the supplemental state contest information sheet for contest details
Horse Project Hippology/Horse judging practice
Horse Sense Spin Club includes Hippology, Horse Bowl, and Horse Judging practice.
- Virtual Horse Bowl & Hippology TBA
- Horse Judging is TBD for mid April
Monday nights TBA
We will be in different barns to do socially distanced, but live practices with horses, equipment, and study resources. It is weather dependent, but dress appropriately and wear masks.
For information on practice locations and cancellations, please join the 4-H Horse Sense Club Remind app via this link below:
- Or join by texting the message “@lkunzi” to the number “81010”.
HORSE SENSE is the study group that gathers to study for Horse Bowl and Hippology.
- Anyone is welcome to drop in to study or give horse bowl and hippology a try. Study groups will be split between junior (ages 8-13) and senior (14-19).
- Topics covered may include: horse anatomy and physiology, diseases, evolution, behavior, nutrition, breeds, tack and equine activities.
- Teaching may include hands-on, question and answer, multiple choice tests, slide identification, etc.
- Study sessions will help prepare youth for horse bowl and hippology competition.
- Independent study will also be recommended.
You DO NOT need a horse to participate!
NEW to 4-H members are welcome to JOIN!
Horse Bowl & Hippology Team Meetings
Meetings will alternate between Lazy K Ranch - Horse Farm and the Extension office.
Schedule is as follows on TUESDAYS at 6:30pm:
- Nov 9 - Lazy K Ranch
- Nov 23 - extension auditorium
- Dec 7 - extension
- Dec 21 - lazy k
- Jan 4 - extension
- Jan 18 - lazy k
- Feb 1 - lazy k
- Feb 15 - extension
- March 1 - extension
- March 8 - extension
- March 15 - extension
Please contact the Extension office for any questions or the Horse Bowl Coach, Lisa Kunzie at email@example.com
New members will need to enroll in Horse Sense Club: See 4-H Online 2.0 guide for enrollment information.