Certified Livestock Manager Training
Is it time to renew your Livestock Manager certification?
According to the Livestock Management Facilities Act, livestock facilities in Illinois that house 300 or more animal units (750+ finishing hogs, 214+ dairy cows, or 300+ beef cattle) are required to have at least one person certified in the environmental protection aspects manure management. The certificate is administered by the Illinois Department of Agriculture and is valid for three years.
The certified livestock manager is expected to be a full-time employee who is familiar with the manure management system of the farm, accessible by phone, and located within a one-hour driving distance to the farm. Young family members (<18 years old) are welcome to take the training, but they cannot be the only certified manager at their facilities.
To become a certified livestock manager:
- 300-999 animal units: attend a workshop or complete online training
- ≥1,000 animal units: attend a workshop and pass IDoA's paper-based test offered immediately following each workshop or complete online training and pass the online test.
Please note that the CLM test has been updated. For the 2023 season, there will be 50 questions on both paper-based and online tests. The pass rate is 70% (35 questions). A Spanish version of the test is now available. Ahora ya está disponible una versión en español del examen para CLMT!
CLMT Certification Training Options
There are two opportunities to complete the University of Illinois Extension Certified Livestock Manager Training for certification.
- We offer CLMT workshops every winter, usually between January and March.
- If you cannot make a workshop or need certification in the off-season, we also offer online training modules that will meet CLM certification requirements.
For 2023, we will be offering in-person CLMT workshops on the eight dates and locations listed below. On the day of the workshop, registration will open at 8:30 a.m. with training program starting promptly at 9:00 a.m. A range of topics related to the operation, management, and utilization of livestock waste and waste facilities will be covered. Additionally, the latest regulations, best management practices, and research for manure-related issues will be discussed. Registration is requested and now open.
- February 7, 2023 — Springfield, IL
Bank of Springfield (BOS) Center 1 Convention Center Plaza, Springfield, IL
- February 8, 2023 — Monmouth IL
U of I Extension office, Warren-Henderson Farm Bureau Bldg., 1000 N Main St., Monmouth, IL
- February 9, 2023 — Sycamore, IL
U of I Extension office, DeKalb County Farm Bureau Bldg., 1350 W. Prairie Drive, Sycamore, IL
- February 10, 2023 — Freeport, IL
Stephenson County Farm Bureau Bldg., 210 W. Spring St, Freeport, IL
- February 21, 2023 — Effingham, IL
Effingham County Extension Office, 1209 North Wenthe Drive, Effingham, IL
- February 22, 2023 — Breese, IL
Clinton County Extension Office, 1163 North 4th Street, Breese, IL
- February 23, 2023 — Pittsfield, IL
U of I Extension Office, Pike County Farm Bureau Bldg., 1301 E Washington, Pittsfield, IL
- February 24, 2023 — Springfield, IL
Illinois Department of Ag Bldg. Auditorium, State Fair Grounds, 801 E Sangamon Avenue, Springfield, IL
The workshop fee is $40 (each additional participant $30 from an operation), and IDoA's certification fee is $30. All workshops start at 9 a.m. In case we need to cancel a workshop due to unforeseen circumstances, we will inform you via email and refund your registration fee. Please check your email or our website for updates.
Online CLMT; open all year round
Create a new account. Once you create an account, you will have access to the training videos and also enrichment videos for three months.
This new version of online training follows the same format as in-person workshops.
- There are nine modules (10-20 min videos), and you can work through these modules at your own pace.
- If you have more than 1,000 animal units, you can take the test online at the end of the training. You are allowed multiple attempts on the test.
- Each time you take the test, 50 questions will be randomly selected from our question bank.
- The online training fee is $40 and IDoA's certification fee is $30.
- Certified Livestock Management Handouts
- Animal Units Worksheet
- The Livestock and Poultry Environmental Stewardship Curriculum
- Certified Livestock Manager List
- Online Nutrient Budget Calculators
If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in this program, please contact Stanley Solomon at (815) 235-4125 or firstname.lastname@example.org.