Local Events, Workshops, and SPIN Clubs
McHenry County 4-H Virtual Show Information
McHenry County 4-H Cloverbud Information
4-H Media Box
McHenry County 4-H Cooking 101 SPIN Club
McHenry County 4-H Virtual Office Hours
McHenry County 4-H Summer Club Information
Lake & McHenry County 4-H Shooting Sports Registration
McHenry County 4-H Information Request 2019/2020
Livestock and Companion Animal Information
McHenry County 4-H Livestock Information and Resources
McHenry County 4-H Dog Class Information
4-H Fair Information and Resources:
- 2020 McHenry County 4-H Fairbook (original show book - see virtual show resources for more information)
- 2019-20 Project Resource Guide
- Virtual Show Resources
4-H Communications- Public Speaking Contest:
- Public Presentation Descriptions
- IL 4-H State contest information and scoresheets:https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/events/illinois-4-h-state-public-speaking-contest
- IL 4-H Horse Speaking Contest Information and scoresheets:https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/events/illinois-4-h-horse-speaking-contest
International Night Information and Resources:
See the full archive HERE
Computer Science Technology Scholarship Award Application
Sponsored by: The R J Gallagher Family Technology Scholarship Fund This award is based on: Excellence in computer skills, character and community service. This application must be submitted or postmarked to the McHenry County Extension office for submission by JUNE 30th. Must be 15-18 years of age by September 1st of the 4-H year.
2019-20 McHenry County 4-H Foundation Scholarship Application
McHenry County 4-H Youth Foundation is offering Scholarships to current 4-H members who have completed High School or are in their last eligible year of 4-H Membership. (4-H age 17 -18 as of September 1, 2019) These scholarships are made available because of a combination of funds to include those raised at the Annual String Tie Affair fundraiser dinner/auction. Awards are based on involvement, achievement, leadership, and the impact that 4-H has had on your life. Fillable scholarship form HERE
For More Information
What is 4-H?
The goal of 4-H is to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills of youth through experiential learning programs and a positive youth development approach.
Typically thought of as an agriculturally focused organization as a result of its history, 4-H today focuses on citizenship, healthy living, science, engineering, and technology programs.
The 4-H Philosophy
Positive Youth Development
(PYD) is an intentional, pro-social approach that engages youth within their communities, schools, organizations, peer groups, and families in a manner that is productive and constructive; recognizes, utilizes, and enhances youths' strengths; and promotes positive outcomes for young people by providing opportunities, fostering positive relationships and furnishing the support needed to build on their leadership strengths.
What is so great about 4-H?
The 4-H Youth Development program is unique in the essence that it is specifically designed and facilitated by youth with the oversight of dynamic volunteer-leaders. The 4-H program is the ONLY youth development program that is specifically tailored to meet the needs and interest of participating youth. 4-H is whatever our youth want and/or needs it to be.
There are several ways youth may participate in the 4-H program:
- For youth ages 8-18
- Meet year round and offer variety of learning & social activities
- Youth led meetings
- Youth use Parliamentary Procedure
- Youth work with screened Volunteers to plan club activates and business meetings
- Members work on Individual Projects independently outside of club meetings
4-H SPIN Clubs
- Members explore a SPecial INterest area
- Volunteers and youth share their expertise in a topic through learning activities, assisting members in developing new skills, and sharing ideas & what they learn with each other
- Meet a minimum of 6 sessions
- Current McHenry County 4-H SPIN Clubs are… Ambassadors, Robotics, Tech Team, Shooting Sports, Woodworking, Dogs, Horses, Rabbits, Beekeeping, Knitting
- For younger children ages 5-7
- Members work on age-appropriate projects as a group and/or individually
- Members are encouraged to try new things
- Cloverbuds can be an independent group or they may meet at the same time as a 4-H Club