Local Events, Workshops, and SPIN Clubs
How to Enroll in 4-H Online
Do you have an interest in the McHenry County 4-H Program?
Livestock and Companion Animal Information
McHenry County 4-H Livestock Information and Resources
McHenry County 4-H Embryology Project
4-H Fair Information and Resources:
Fair Dates: Dates subject to change
July 12-13: Archery -Demonstration Judging
July 14: Air Rifle -Demonstration Judging
July 15: Dog Fun show
July 30: 4-H Dog show
July 21: General Project Judging - Computer Technologies, Robotics, Video - Extension Office
July 22 AM: General Project Judging - Sewing,Shopping, Interior Design, Photography, Individual & Group Cloverbud Projects - Bldg D
July 22 AM: General Project Judging - Visual Arts - 4-H Bldg
July 22 PM: General Project Judging - Animal/Vet Science, Cat & Small Pet show Civic Engagement & Service Learning, College & Career Readiness, Communications, Consumer Education, Leadership, Child Development, Family Heritage, Health, Intercultural, Theatre arts - 4-H Bldg
July 23 AM: General Project Judging - ALL Natural Res. & Environment Projects, Shooting Sports displays, ALL Engineering & Technologies: Aerospace, Woodworking, Tractor, Small Engines, Bicycle, Electricity, Welding, Maker - 4-H Bldg
July 24: Rabbit Show
Aug 1 AM: General Project Judging - Food & Nutrition: Cooking, Food Science, Sports Nutrition; Horticulture & Floriculture; Crops, Plants & Soils; Exploratory, Collections, County projects: Lego, model, reading, sports, conservation/environment
Aug 1: Livestock check-in begins
Aug 2-7 – McHenry County Fair
Aug 2: Poultry, Swine Carcass Class
Aug 3: Dairy, Sheep, Goat
Aug 4: Beef, Swine
Aug 4: 4-H Night
Aug 5: Horse show
Aug 6: Livestock Auction
Aug 7: Master Showman Competition
For full Show Resource: Show Resources
4-H Communications- Public Speaking Contest:
- Public Presentation Descriptions
- IL 4-H State contest information and scoresheets:https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/events/illinois-4-h-state-public-speaking-contest
- IL 4-H Horse Speaking Contest Information and scoresheets:https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/events/illinois-4-h-horse-speaking-contest
International Night Information and Resources:
Computer Science Technology Scholarship Award Application
Sponsored by: The R J Gallagher Family Technology Scholarship Fund This award is based on: Excellence in computer skills, character and community service. This application must be submitted or postmarked to the McHenry County Extension office for submission by JUNE 30th. Must be 15-18 years of age by September 1st of the 4-H year.
2021-22 McHenry County 4-H Foundation Scholarship Application
McHenry County 4-H Youth Foundation is offering Scholarships to current 4-H members who have completed High School or are in their last eligible year of 4-H Membership. (4-H age 17 -18 as of September 1, 2020) These scholarships are made available because of a combination of funds to include those raised at the Annual String Tie Affair fundraiser dinner/auction. Awards are based on involvement, achievement, leadership, and the impact that 4-H has had on your life. Hardcopy scholarship form HERE
For More Information
What is 4-H?
The goal of 4-H is to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills of youth through experiential learning programs and a positive youth development approach.
Typically thought of as an agriculturally focused organization as a result of its history, 4-H today focuses on citizenship, healthy living, science, engineering, and technology programs.
The 4-H Philosophy
Positive Youth Development
(PYD) is an intentional, pro-social approach that engages youth within their communities, schools, organizations, peer groups, and families in a manner that is productive and constructive; recognizes, utilizes, and enhances youths' strengths; and promotes positive outcomes for young people by providing opportunities, fostering positive relationships and furnishing the support needed to build on their leadership strengths.
What is so great about 4-H?
The 4-H Youth Development program is unique in the essence that it is specifically designed and facilitated by youth with the oversight of dynamic volunteer-leaders. The 4-H program is the ONLY youth development program that is specifically tailored to meet the needs and interest of participating youth. 4-H is whatever our youth want and/or needs it to be.
There are several ways youth may participate in the 4-H program:
- For youth ages 8-18
- Meet year round and offer variety of learning & social activities
- Youth led meetings
- Youth use Parliamentary Procedure
- Youth work with screened Volunteers to plan club activates and business meetings
- Members work on Individual Projects independently outside of club meetings
4-H SPIN Clubs
- Members explore a SPecial INterest area
- Volunteers and youth share their expertise in a topic through learning activities, assisting members in developing new skills, and sharing ideas & what they learn with each other
- Meet a minimum of 6 sessions
- Current McHenry County 4-H SPIN Clubs are… Ambassadors, Robotics, Tech Team, Shooting Sports, Woodworking, Dogs, Horses, Rabbits, Beekeeping, Knitting
- For younger children ages 5-7
- Members work on age-appropriate projects as a group and/or individually
- Members are encouraged to try new things
- Cloverbuds can be an independent group or they may meet at the same time as a 4-H Club