- 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package Quick-Rise Yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- ¼ cup tub margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash hands with soap and water. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and baking soda; mix well and set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat buttermilk, water and butter or margarine until warm (120 to 130 degrees); shortening does not need to melt completely.
3. Pour milk mixture into flour mixture. Using an electric mixer, blend at low speed for 2 minutes. By hand; gradually add enough flour to make soft dough.
4. Knead on a floured surface for 2 minutes. Press dough into a 9-inch spuare baking dish or cake pan, which has been sprayed with cooking spray. Dust lightly with flour.
5. Using a sharp knife cut dough into 16 rolls, cut almost to bottom of pan. Let rise in a warm place, lightly covered for 20 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Using a food thermometer, the internal temperature of the rolls should reach at least 190F. Remove from pan, break apart and serve warm.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months for best quality.
Fat: 3 g
Saturated Fat: 0.5 g
Sodium: 230 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21 g
Added Sugar: 2 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g