University of Illinois Extension Master Gardeners from Hamilton, White, Saline, Gallatin, Pope & Hardin counties in the southern part of the state are a small group. However, our Master Gardener's enthusiasm & dedication to helping others exemplifies the mission statement of the Illinois Master Gardener Program – "Helping Others Learn to Grow."
Volunteer activities by our Master Gardeners:
- Present garden programs at the local Extension offices as well as programs at Senior Centers, for homemakers units & other local organizations.
- Participate in the Plant-A-Row project sponsored by the Garden Writers of America.
- Plant and maintain a vegetable/herb garden on local Museum grounds.
- Participate in two Festivals where garden information available from University of Illinois Extension and garden questions answered by Master Gardeners.
- Participate at the Dixon Springs Agricultural Center "Ag Day" with a booth displaying available U of I Extension garden information and where questions are answered by Master Gardeners on gardening concerns.
- Have one garden tour a year through a local establishment plus present programs at local garden center.