Take Home Kit
Everyday Environment Webinar Series
Whether you're managing your family's farm or you're an avid supporter of green spaces in urban areas, interest in expanding our understanding of the natural environment has never been higher. With an increased focus on sustainability, safety, and innovation, what we know about shepherding our energy and environmental resources has evolved rapidly in the past decade. If you've got questions about best practices in environmental stewardship, you'll appreciate that our information is based on peer-reviewed science - the gold standard in determining the credibility and reliability of information.
Looking for an answer to a specific question? Call your local office to learn more about how Illinois Extension is prepared to help.
Energy and Environment is a broad and diverse area of study. We've organized our resources into several topical themes to help you dig more deeply into your areas of interest. From educational curriculum units to websites devoted to deeply exploring a single topic area, our resource collection represents best practices based on both proven and emerging research and the work of our professional education staff.
Composting and Soil
Claude's Got the Scoop on Soil
- Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation: Research on sustainable energy sources, primarily bioenergy crops.
- Ethanol: Learn the basics of ethanol production and use.
- Energy Education Council: Research, education, and outreach promoting the safe and efficient use of energy. Working with utilities to provide educational resources for public outreach.
- Firewood in Illinois: Learn about good firewood characteristics, forest and woodlot management, and wood stoves and fireplaces.
- Integrated Bioprocessing Research Laboratory: Working to advance research and education focused on renewable food, fuel and fiber-based processing platforms.
- Smart Grid Education Outreach: Learn about Illinois Extension's smart grid education outreach efforts.
Environmental Stewardship At Home
Disposing of unwanted medicine & personal care products
Take Action on Radon
Preventing West Nile Virus
Insects, Plants, and Wildlife
- Emerald Ash Borer: Learn how to identify ash trees and spot possible Emerald Ash Borers adn then explore options for controlling the problem. Spanish version available.
- Gypsy Moth Reporting Site: Learn about gypsy moths and how to control them.
- Illinois Forestry: Educates landowners, environmental groups, natural resource managers, foresters, and loggers about forestry.
- Living with Deer in Illinois: This website provides residents of Illinois with information about how to coexist with Illinois deer.
- Living with Wildlife in Illinois: Information about how to coexist with Illinois wildlife.
- Pollinator Garden - Native Plants for Attracting Pollinators: This guide features a plant plan that creates year-round interest for people and extends the foraging season for pollinators.
- Adventures of Squirmin' Herman the Worm: Lessons about worms and how to make your own worm bin. Intended for 1st-3rd grade students. Spanish version available.
- Exploring the Secret Life of Trees: Designed to help 3rd–5th grade students gain an appreciation of trees, observe trees in their everyday lives, and develop an interest in discovering more about trees. Spanish version available.
- I Think Green: Youth investigate how living things interact with each other and with their environment.
- Natural Resources and the Environment: Explore how plants, animals, and humans interact within ecosystems and how they each influence one another.
- Trees are Terrific: Designed to help young children (5–8 years of age) gain an appreciation of trees, observe trees in their every day lives and develop an interest in learning more about trees. Spanish version available.
Illinois-Indiana Sea Grant
Illinois Drainage Research and Outreach Program
Bioreactors, Water Table Management, and Water Quality
Weather and Climate
- Disaster Resources: Quick access to information on disaster preparedness and recovery.
- Illinois State Climatologist Office: Provides weather and climate data, maps, and information for Illinois.
- Midwest Regional Climate Center: Services and research help to better explain climate and its impacts to the Midwest.
- Water and Atmospheric Resources Monitoring Program (WARM): Research and data about Illinois conditions.
- Weather Video Series: Learn all about the weather with this informative video series.
- Winter Storm Resource Center: Links to the information you need to cope with severe winter weather.
- Illinois Drought Resources: Learn how to deal with heat and drought in Illinois.
- Riding the Winds with Kalani: This weather adventure teaches about temperature, clouds, precipitation, and Earth movements. Intended for K-2nd grade students. Spanish, Chinese, and Korean versions available.
- Shake, Rattle, and Slide: Learn about the work of earthquakes, volcanoes, and glaciers. Intended for 5th-8th grade students. Spanish version available.
- Tree House Weather Kids: Learn about why the weather changes, how we predict the weather, and how weather can cause great destruction. Intended for 5th-8th grade students. Spanish version available.