Formally called the Food Service Sanitation Manager Certification, this program meets the eight-hour coursework and examination requirement set by the Illinois Department of Public Health for the Certified Food Protection Manager certification. Recertification is required every five years.
The course is taught over two days and the exam is administered the second day. A photo ID is required for the exam. The program fee is $115, which includes the book, examination, educational materials and lunch. Pre-registration is required. If a reader or translator is needed, contact the National Registry of Food Safety Professionals by email or call 800-446-0257.
For more about the course, visit the Illinois Department of Public Health.
2023 In-Person Schedule
All classes are from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day unless otherwise noted.
- May 2 & 4 | DeWitt County Extension (register by April 10)
- June 6, 7 & 8 | Macon County Extension | Class taught with a Spanish language interpreter. Exam and educational materials in Spanish (register by May 15)
- June 26 & 28 | Decatur Public Library | 9:30 a.m to 4 p.m. (register by June 5)
- July 25 & 27 | Piatt County Extension (register by July 3)
- Sept 26 & 28 | Piatt County Extension (register by Sept 4)
- Nov 1 & 3 | Dewitt County Health Dept (register by Oct 9)
An ANSI-approved online Certified Food Protection Manager Course is available through University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Questions? Contact Beth Reutter by email or call 217-398-0103.
Illinois Food Handlers Certificate
Illinois Extension in DeWitt, Macon, and Piatt counties does not currently offer Food Handler training. A Food Handlers Certificate is required for certain individuals working in both restaurant and non-restaurant food businesses, such as childcare centers, nursing homes, schools, etc. Download a list of other organizations that teach Food Handlers.