- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled, dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon crumbled, dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 small rib of celery including the leaves, minced
- 1 carrot, grated coarsely
- 2 cups unsalted chicken broth or stock (fresh or canned)
- 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Wash hands with warm water and soap
- In a small dry skillet toast the rosemary and thyme until fragrant, do not burn. Shake the skillet and heat for about 3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion, celery and carrots in olive oil over moderately low heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the broth or stock and bring to a boil.
- Break potatoes up with a fork. Using a wire whisk, add potatoes a half cup at a time.
- Continue whisking until smooth, reduce to a simmer (165 degrees) and add toasted herbs, lemon juice and fresh parsley.
- Taste soup and add salt and black pepper if desired.
Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator 3 to 4 days or freezer 4 to 6 months.
Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 160 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 21 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 5 g