- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Wash hands with warm water and soap.
- Wash and peel onion—dice and set aside.
- Rinse and peel red potatoes. Slice potatoes about ⅛" thick, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- To make the sauce. In a large saucepan, combine diced onion and 2 cups milk. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes. Then, bring to a boil. Stir to prevent scalding.
- Gradually add flour, whisking in one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Reduce heat to low. The sauce will become very thick, and you may need to add more milk.
- Butter a 9"x13" baking dish. Place ⅓ of the potatoes in the bottom and season with salt and pepper. Pour ⅓ of the cream sauce over the potatoes, repeat.
- Bake at 325 F. for 30 minutes. Check to see if you need to add additional milk. Continue baking for another 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven, and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Storage: Store in the refrigerator 4 days, or freeze for longer storage.
Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Sodium: 220 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 44 g
Added Sugar: 9 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 8 g