- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons sodium-free tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups water
- 4 cans (14.5 oz) reduced sodium chicken broth
- or homemade turkey broth
- 3 - 15 oz cans white hominy, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 7 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- ½ teaspoon black pepper and salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Wash hands with warm water and soap.
- Pour olive oil into a 5-quart Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add onions. Cook for about two minutes, stirring often. Do not brown.
- Add garlic, tomato paste, chili powder and oregano. Cook stirring constantly until combined. Add four cups water, broth, hominy and carrots. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Stir in shredded turkey and black pepper. Season with about one teaspoon salt. Cook until heated, about five minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add cilantro and stir. Serve hot with lime wedges and warmed corn tortillas.
Storage: Store leftovers in the refrigerator 3 to 4 days or freezer 4 to 6 months..
Fat: 3.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0 g
Sodium: 770 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 23 g
Added Sugars: 0 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 18 g