From food safety to nutrition to chronic disease prevention and management, Illinois Extension is committed to helping individuals and families live the best versions of their lives. A variety of health and wellness programs and training opportunities are available for community groups, childcare providers, school food service and employers interested in worksite-wellness programs.
Not sure how long you can keep eggs? How long to thaw a turkey? Or what to do with refrigerated food after a power outage?
Submit your question here for research-based answers you can trust.
Request a Class
Interested in setting up a class, training or work-site wellness program? Please submit this form to the Nutrition and Wellness Educator Caitlin Mellendorf or call 217-877-6042. Or reach out to one of our educators around the state to learn more.
- Meals for a Healthy Heart: Diet and lifestyle can help manage high blood pressure and cholesterol.
- I On Diabetes: Talk about diabetes prevention and management, and practice meal planning.
- Yes! You Can: Learn how to preserve food from canning to freezing to dehydration.
- Certified Food Protection Manager Training: Food service staff can gain the minimum classroom work needed to sit for the national certification exam.
- Putting Wellness to Work: Teach employees about health and wellness topics for navigating healthy lifestyles.
- Childcare Providers: Continuing education through Gateways for childcare providers.
- ABCs of School Nutrition: Free training for school food service staff on a variety of topics for USDA required continuing education.
- Best Bang for Your Food Buck: Save money on your food bill through meal planning and smart shopping.
- Cooking for 1 or 2: Plan meals, shop and cook nutritious meals for yourself and someone else.
- Balancing Better Bites: Learn ways to snack healthier between meals.
- Meals for Diabetes: Discuss meal planning for diabetes.
- Bringing Back the Basics: Try your hand at making something new!
Classes: Salsa Making, Cheese Making, Freezer Meals, Quick Breads.
- Through the Aisles Tour: Take a tour of a grocery store for tips on healthy shopping and meal planning.
- Bring Your Goals to Life: Set achievable goals for your health and discuss ways to reach them in a support group setting. Return in 6 months to celebrate your successes.
- Dining Out Without Filling Out: Identify healthier meal choices and substitutions for when you eat out.