Join Extension for the 5th annual Southern Illinois Conservation Workshop on Saturday, September 17 at Shawnee Community College in Ullin. The workshop will include speakers with expertise on different aspects of landowner conservation, offering an opportunity for local land managers and landowners to learn, make connections, and ask questions.
The registration fee for the event is $20.00. Lunch will be provided (Roast beef sandwiches, spinach/strawberry salad, pasta salad, dessert, drinks. Coffee and hot water will be provided for tea in the morning).
The workshop features a morning keynote presentation followed by four sessions, each with two presentation choices.
8:30 - 9:00 am Registration
9:00 - 9:05 am Welcome
9:05 - 10:00 am Keynote Presentation
- Eastern Whip-poor-wills in the Shawnee National Forest (Michael Avera, University of Illinois)
10:15 - 11:00 am Session 1
- Track 1: Tornado Trends: Can We Expect more of Them? (Duane Friend, University of Illinois)
- Track 2: Armadillos in southern Illinois (Agustin Jimenez, Southern Illinois University)
11:15 am - 12:00 pm Session 2
- Track 1: Resilient Home Landscapes (Layne Knoche, University of Illinois)
- Track 2: NRCS Conservation Programs (Shelby Ferguson and Kelsey McAllister, USDA-NRCS)
12:00 pm - 12:45 pm Lunch
12:45 pm - 1:30 pm Session 3
- Track 1: Tree Pruning 101 (Jennifer Behnken, Missouri Department of Conservation)
- Track 2: Pollinators (Sedonia Sipes, Southern Illinois University)
1:45 pm - 2:30 pm Session 4
- Track 1: Integrated Pest Management for southern Illinois Invasive Species ( Nick Seaton, River to River Cooperative Weed Management Area)
- Track 2: Woodland Birdscaping in southern Illinois (Kim Rohling, University of Illinois)
2:30 pm - 2:35 pm Closing
For more information, email Erin Garrett at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 618-524-2270.
If you will need an accommodation in order to participate, please contact us at 618-524-2270. Early requests are strongly encouraged to allow sufficient time to meet your access needs.