The Master Gardener Program in Vermilion County/Danville Area
Master Gardeners are volunteers who enjoy gardening, learning, and sharing their knowledge with others. You will meet people who have been gardening their whole lives and others who are beginners. The classes are geared for all skill levels.
Class are held once a week for 10 weeks starting at the end of January on Tuesdays 9am-4pm at the Vermilion County Extension Office in Danville. You will have an hour for lunch on class days. There is an option to view a recorded class if you miss a session.
Classes cover a wide area of topics like Flowers, Vegetables, Lawns, Shrubs, Trees, Fruits, Plant Diseases and more. There will be a quiz to complete after each class. The quiz is open book and should be returned the following week.
Class fee of $200 includes the Master Gardener manual. Payment may be made by cash, check or credit card. Need based financial assistance is available.
Classes in the Danville office are limited to 15 students.
Accepted applicants agree to attend all training classes and volunteer 60 hours at approved projects in the two years following training. Most Master Gardener Interns finish their 60 hours the first summer they enter the program. After the internship is completed, active Master Gardeners volunteer 30 hours per year with ten hours of continuing education.
Interested in joining? We are now accepting applications for 2020 training. Follow this link to complete an interest form or call the Extension Office at 217-442-8615 to have an application mailed to your home address.
A sample of a typical class schedule Vermilion County Master Gardener Training Schedule.
Vermilion County Master Gardeners earn their hours by volunteering at a variety of approved projects:
- Community gardens at Kennekuk Park Atwood House and Herb Garden, Douglas Discovery Garden, VA Greenhouse, Pollinator Garden and Healing Garden, Danville Library Children's Garden
- Weekly radio program on WDAN
- Giving short presentations thru Speakers Bureau and VA Outreach programs with veterans
- Organizing fundraisers: Garden Day Workshop, Plant Sale, Garden Walk
- Finding speakers for garden themed educational programs open to the public
- Master Gardener Interns help research plant questions that come into the extension office May-September
- Master Gardener Interns design, plan and maintain large containers at the Extension Office their first summer
Have questions? Please contact the Vermilion County Extension office 217-442-8615 or email Jenney Hanrahan if you would like more information on how to become a Master Gardener.
Classes start in January 2020.
Fill out the form and return to the Vermilion County Extension Office 3164 N Vermilion Danville, IL 61832 to start the registration process.
- Master Gardener Interest Form
- Master Gardener Training Schedule Vermilion County-Danville
schedule for MG training classes -Danville Il office from 2019