Join the Master Gardener Team!
Learn about Plant Diseases
Experiential Learning Environment
Volunteer with Classmates
Do you value education, love gardening, and like to volunteer? The Master Gardener program is for you!
“Wonderful way to meet people with similar interests while doing something you enjoy.” – Kathy
“I am so grateful to have been able to attend this class.” – Janet
The next online course begins January 2021. In class typically begins in January annually. Depending on COVID restrictions, an in-class/online hybrid may be available in January.
We are currently accepting applications for this class year through January 15, 2021.
Completing the interest form is the first step in becoming a Champaign County Master Gardener volunteer or to take the Master Gardener course for professional development.
Once you submit this interest form,
1) The Master Gardener Program Coordinator will contact you for an informal interview.
2) When accepted into the program, you will be asked to complete 6 forms (required documents below) as required by the State Master Gardener program.
3) You will then receive final registration and course information. The in-class fee is $200 and the online fee is $300. Financial assistance may be available.
4) Classes and 60 hours of volunteer time are mandatory in order to become a certified active Master Gardener. Volunteer time can be completed within 2 years of taking the course.
5) To maintain certification in subsequent years, you must complete 10 hours of continuing education and 30 hours of volunteer activities annually.
- Program fee is $200 for in-class or $300 for online. Financial assistance may be available.
- Illinois State Police Background Check Form (pdf)
- Illinois CANTS Form (pdf)
- Master Gardener Application (pdf)
- Master Gardener Trainee Agreement (pdf)
Active/Certified Master Gardeners
To Report Volunteer Hours