Local Foods, Local Farms, Local People
Local Foods, Local Farms, Local People highlights Illinois specialty crop and livestock farmers all across the state who are changing the way we think about food and our relationship to it, one bite at a time.
Our team and our blog cover everything from the humble beginnings of our growers, to details of sustainable production methods in the field, marketing challenges and successes, and everything in between. Through our investigations of these topics with the farmers of Illinois, we strive to improve local foods systems, access and availability by sharing their collective knowledge with our readers.
Find these stories at Local Foods, Local Farms, Local People
A newsletter to provide timely, research-based information that commercial fruit and vegetable growers can apply to benefit their farming operations. To be added to the email notifications for this newsletter contact Nathan Johanning or Bronwyn Aly.
Get field updates about the South Suburban Cook Urban Agriculture Demonstration and Research Farm, hear about how Master Urban Farmer graduates are applying what they've learned in their communities, read the latest posts from the Cultivate Cook County blog, and never miss hearing about an upcoming in-person and virtual programs.
- Acres of Knowledge: All issues concerning Small Farms, Agriculture, Local Food Systems, and the Natural Resources.
- Cultivate Cook County Exploring local food production and issues in urban areas at a variety of scales.
- Flowers, Fruits, and Frass: Local and statewide information on a variety of current topics for home gardeners and market growers.
- Good Growing: Keeping you growing with good ideas.
- Hill and Furrow: Commercial Agriculture, Insights into agronomic research, trends, and events.
- Know How, Know More: Connecting you with your food, farmers and community.
- Learn, Grow Food, Eat It: Exploring local food production and issues in urban areas at a variety of scales.
- Raise, Grow, Harvest, Eat, Repeat: A blog for growers, consumers, and backyard gardeners to grow, eat, and connect in the local food system.
- Urban Ag Connect: What's the best way to trellis and prune tomatoes? How can you help crops survive cold temperatures? Check out Zach Grant's video series for tips, step-by-step demonstrations, and techniques used at our urban research farm.
- The Ag Engineering Update: The latest and greatest from your livestock engineers.
- The Cattle Blog: Beef production tips and livestock industry updates.
- The Cattle Connection: The cattlemen's connection to timely topics, current research, and profitable management strategies.
- Straight Stalk: Current crop information updates and research highlights.