Preparing Summer Squash and Zucchini
Summer Squash and Onion Packets
Quick and Healthy Summer Squash Recipes
Summer squash can be grilled, steamed, boiled, sauteed, fried or used in stir fry recipes. They mix well with onions, tomatoes and okra in vegetable medleys.
- Carrot Zucchini Bars
- Banana Berry Squash Smoothie
- Zucchini Pineapple Bread
- Roasted Zucchini
- Healthy Honey Veggie Bars
- Garlic Chicken, Potato, and Zucchini Sheet Pan Dinner
- Dilled Zucchini
- Tuna Pasta Salad
- Teriyaki Kabobs
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Chicken and Vegetable Kebabs
- Easy Sauteed Vegetables
- Colorful Ranch Vegetable Wraps
Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Summer Squash
Because summer squash is immature, they are considerably lower in nutritional value than their winter counterparts. Generally, there is little variation in nutritional value between varieties. The peel is where many of the nutrients hide, so never peel summer squash.
1 cup sliced, raw zucchini
- Calories: 16
- Protein: 1.31 grams
- Carbohydrates: 3.27 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 1.36 grams
- Calcium: 16.95
- Potassium: 280.24
- Vitamin A: 384 IU
- Folate: 24.93 mcg
Preparation and Serving
Summer squash can be used interchangeably in most recipes. Tiny baby squash can be used as appetizers, or left whole and sauteed with other vegetables. Don't waste male squash blossoms by leaving them in the garden. If you do not have the time or inclination to prepare them separately, toss them in the salad bowl or add to any squash preparation.
Canning is not recommended because the tender summer squash will simply turn to mush during processing, unless you are making pickles. Zucchini can be substituted for cucumbers in some pickle recipes. The results are especially good in your favorite recipes for bread and butter pickles.
Blanch and freeze cubes or slices of summer squash or grate and freeze Zucchini, unblanched for making Zucchini bread.
The best way to use over grown (10 to 12 inches) zucchini is to grate it and use in zucchini bread.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and cut away the seedy middle section.
- Wash, grate, and freeze in one cup portions.
- Use zip closure freezer bags or rigid freezer containers leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Over size zucchini can also be used to make canned zucchini chutney.
- The over 12-inch monsters should go on the compost heap.
Zucchini-Tomato Cheese Toastie