Not sure where to start? Start here.
Growing your own food can be an incredibly rewarding experience. But there’s more to it than tossing some seeds in the ground. Whether it’s your first-year gardening or you’ve been growing for decades a gardener is always learning. Illinois Extension has done the research for you and presents these easy-to-understand steps for planting, harvesting, cooking, and preserving your garden's harvest.
Read up on these tips for starting a vegetable garden.
- Begin with a Plan
- Seed Starting
- Supplemental Lighting for Indoor Seed Starting
- Favorite Cool Season Crops
- Warm Season Vegetables
- Types of Gardens
- Soil Management
- Weed Management
- Hardening Off Indoor Seedlings
- Season Extension
- Supporting Plants
- Pest Management for Home Gardens
- Fertilizing Your Garden
- Garden Irrigation
- Caring for Garden Tools
- Creating Container Gardens
- Livingston County Extension Office (Livingston County)