April is Winning on Reducing Food Waste Month
Health at Home Free Webinar Series: April 8th-May 20th
Feeding My Baby: From Cradle to Table
Canning, Freezing, and Drying Food for Preservation
Selling Food from the Kitchen at the Farmers Market
30 Days of Food Rescue: Social Media Campaign
- Toolkit: Use this toolkit was a guide for posting graphics and wording to go with the graphics.
- Graphics: There are 30 graphics to share in promoting food rescue.
Chronic Disease and Nutrition
- Diabetes Life Lines: Learn ideas for living with diabetes through proper diet and exercise.
- Eat.Move.Save: Learn how to make healthier choices on a budget.
- Ten Tips to Stay Active at Home:This fact sheet includes tips to encourage activity with family and can be great as brain breaks for children and adults.Spanish version.
- Feeding My Baby-From Cradle to Table: Feeding My Baby is designed to help you make informed decisions as your baby transitions from cradle to table.
- Fiesta de Sabores: Esta es una colección de recetas Hispanas recomendadas para gente con diabetes.
- HOT Project: Healthy Outcomes for Teens: The HOT Project is for website for middle school students to increase their knowledge about obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
- Osteoporosis Facts & Recipes: The Surgeon General estimates that by 2020, half of all Americans over age 50 will have weak bones unless changes are made to diet and lifestyle. This website provides facts and recipes for anyone suffering from osteoporosis.
Food Safety Resources
- Understanding Food Package Dates: Do you keep it or throw it out? : A helpful fact sheet for understanding the difference in sell by, use by, pack, quality assurance, and expiration dates on foods.Spanish version.
- How to Build an Emergency Food Supply: When preparing an emergency food supply use this fact sheet to help reduce stress and ensure you and your family have access to safe and healthful foods
- How to Make Your Own Bleach Sanitizer: Fact sheet for if you are out of disinfecting cleaner or cannot find it at the store. Use this bleach sanitizer to disinfect surfaces such as tables, counters, floors, doorknobs, toilets, showers, faucets and sinks. Spanish Version.
- Steps for Freezing Food: Learn step-by-step how to freeze food for the best quality, get answers to what should and should not be frozen, and how to thaw safely in a fact sheet.
- Is My Meat Safe to Eat? Foodborne illness is a serious issue. 1 in 6 Americans are hospitalized each year from foodborne disease. This website provides food safety education and is also available en Español.
Food through the Seasons
- Apples & More: Visit Apples & More to learn about U-pick apple orchards, apple nutrition, varieties & selection, and fun activities for children.
- Pumpkins & More: You can learn about U-pick pumpkin farms, pumpkin nutrition, varieties & selection, and fun activities for children.
- Raspberries & More: Learn about varieties & selection, how to plant, and where to find nurseries and U-pick farms.
- Strawberries & More: Your guide to growing strawberries, u-pick strawberry farms, strawberry nutrition, and selection & care
- Turkey for the Holidays: Need help with your holiday turkey? Get all the answers here—cooking techniques, leftover ideas, turkey facts, and much more.
Interactive Youth Food and Nutrition
- Food Fun from Apples to Zucchini: A website to introduce elementary students to 37 different kinds of produce -- many they may not know. (Intended for elementary students)
- Fresh From the World...Where Your Food Comes From? This site looks at 15 different popular foods and explores their histories and origins to help kids understand that their food comes from all over the world. (Intended for 4th-5th grade students)
Additional Food Safety and Nutrition Resources
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: MyPlate is designed to remind Americans to eat healthfully and make better food choices.
- Food Safety For Consumers: Foodsafety.gov provides information on the latest recalls, food safety tips, information on food storage, cooking temperatures, how to handle food during natural disasters, and other helpful information to prevent foodborne illness.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation: The National Center for Home Food Preservation is your source for current research-based recommendations for most methods of home food preservation.
Food Safety and Nutrition Research & News
News from Educators in the Field
Current Research in the News
Illinois Nutrition Edition: Emerging health information and fun, seasonal recipes from a source you can trust.
Simply Nutritious, Quick, and Delicious: Helpful tips to make meals easy, healthy, and tasty!
Be Smart, Eat Well, Get Healthy: Nutrition information you can use.
Healthy Eats and Repeat: Highlighting food, recipes, and ideas for a healthy lifestyle.
The Nutrition Nosh: Nutrition and Wellness information and recipes to make life healthier!
Turnip the Beet! Nutrition and Wellness: Timely news, information, and innovative ideas to promote health and influence change.