Featured Websites & Current Events
Feeding My Baby: From Cradle to Table
Selling Food from the Kitchen at the Farmers Market
Canning, Freezing, and Drying Food from the Garden
Hispanic Recipes for People with Diabetes
Keep up with the Nutrition and Wellness Extension team as we provide current evidence and research-based nutrition and food safety information. Follow us on our journey to not only eating well but living a healthy lifestyle! Read what's new.
The Family and Consumer Sciences educators invite you to sit around our table as we share practical, research-based information for your family, from building healthy families to eating healthier and spending smarter.
Food Safety and Nutrition Research & News
News from Educators in the Field
Current Research in the News
Chronic Disease and Nutrition
- Diabetes Life Lines: Learn ideas for living with diabetes through proper diet and exercise.
- Know Who to Trust for Reliable Information: Find out how to identify trustworthy sources for important health and wellness information. Spanish Version.
- Keeping Nourished When Ill: Learn about what to eat and how to stay hydrated when feeling sick.
- Feeding My Baby-From Cradle to Table: Feeding My Baby is designed to help you make informed decisions as your baby transitions from cradle to table.
- Fiesta de Sabores: Esta es una colección de recetas Hispanas recomendadas para gente con diabetes.
- HOT Project: Healthy Outcomes for Teens: The HOT Project is a website for middle school students to increase their knowledge about obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
- Osteoporosis Facts & Recipes: The Surgeon General estimates that by 2020, half of all Americans over age 50 will have weak bones unless changes are made to diet and lifestyle. This website provides facts and recipes for anyone who has osteoporosis.
Food Safety At Home
- How to Safely Receive, Store, and Reheat Carryout Meals: This fact sheet reviews how to receive, store, and reheat takeout, carryout, or pick up meals with food safety in mind.
- Understanding Food Package Dates: Do you keep it or throw it out? : A helpful fact sheet for understanding the difference in sell by, use by, pack, quality assurance, and expiration dates on foods. Spanish version.
- How to Build an Emergency Food Supply: When preparing an emergency food supply use this fact sheet to help reduce stress and ensure you and your family have access to safe and healthful foods
- How to Make Your Own Bleach Sanitizer: A how-to guide for making bleach at home. Use this bleach sanitizer to clean surfaces such as tables, counters, floors, doorknobs, toilets, showers, faucets, and sinks. Spanish Version.
- Steps for Freezing Food: Learn step-by-step how to freeze food for the best quality, get answers to what should and should not be frozen, and how to thaw safely in a fact sheet.
- What can I Freeze?: This helpful fact sheet explains how long to keep foods frozen for best quality.
- Is My Meat Safe to Eat? Foodborne illness is a serious issue. 1 in 6 Americans are hospitalized each year from foodborne disease. This website provides food safety education and is also available en Español.
- Using the Microwave Safely: Learn about how to safely use the microwave, what containers should go in the microwave, prevent fires, defrosting food, and getting the best results!
Food Safety At Work During COVID-19
- Food Banks-Best Practices: This fact sheet reviews communications and protocol for employees, volunteers, and customers at food banks. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Food Banks-Receiving Food and Cleaning: Use this fact sheet to answer questions about accepting food, how cleaning and disinfecting should be handled in food banks, and cleaning food packaging. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Grocery Stores-General Questions and Employee Health: This fact sheet answers common food safety questions and employee health for grocery stores. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Grocery Stores-Cleaning and Disinfecting: Use this fact sheet to answer questions about accepting food, how cleaning and disinfecting should be handled in grocery stores, and cleaning food packaging. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Grocery Stores-Receiving and Food Packaging: Learn if food packaging needs to be cleaned, recommended cleaning and disinfectants, and accepting food from other states and countries. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Food Service and Retail-Cleaning and Disinfecting: Get answers about what disinfectants to use, self-service area cleaning, surface cleaning, and guest health. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Food Service and Retail-General Questions and Employee Health: This fact sheet answers common food safety questions and employee health for food service. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
- Food Service and Retail-Receiving and Food Packaging: Learn if food packaging needs to be cleaned, recommended cleaning and disinfectants, changes in the supply chain, and accepting food from other states and countries. Produced in collaboration with NC State Extension.
Meal Prep and Recipe Resources
- What's Cooking? With Mary Liz Wright: These helpful videos are all under four minutes and go through recipes, washing produce, canning, freezing, drying, using appliances, and additional kitchen tips.
- Eat.Move.Save: Learn how to make healthier choices on a budget.
- Recipe Substitutions: Find out how to substitute for common ingredients rather than having to make another trip to the grocery store.
- Cooking with Children: Read about ways to involve children of all ages in the kitchen.
- Cooking for One or Two: Use this fact sheet to help learn how to cut recipes down for one or two people, shopping tips, quick meals, maximizing meals, and saving money.
- Creative Ways to Use Leftovers: Read suggestions for turning one meal into two or more! This fact sheet also discusses how to store, thaw safely, and reheat leftovers.
- One Container Meals: Get some tips and healthy suggestions for creating quick and easy one pot or pan meals.
- Shopping to Save: Helpful tips for grocery shopping on a budget.
Food through the Seasons
- Apples & More: Visit Apples & More to learn about U-pick apple orchards, apple nutrition, varieties & selection, and fun activities for children.
- Pumpkins & More: You can learn about U-pick pumpkin farms, pumpkin nutrition, varieties & selection, and fun activities for children.
- Raspberries & More: Learn about varieties & selection, how to plant, and where to find nurseries and U-pick farms.
- Strawberries & More: Your guide to growing strawberries, u-pick strawberry farms, strawberry nutrition, and selection & care
- Turkey for the Holidays: Need help with your holiday turkey? Get all the answers here—cooking techniques, leftover ideas, turkey facts, and much more.
Interactive Youth Food and Nutrition
- Food Fun from Apples to Zucchini: A website to introduce elementary students to 37 different kinds of produce -- many they may not know. (Intended for elementary students)
- Fresh From the World...Where Your Food Comes From? This site looks at 15 different popular foods and explores their histories and origins to help kids understand that their food comes from all over the world. (Intended for 4th-5th grade students)
Additional Food Safety and Nutrition Resources
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: MyPlate is designed to remind Americans to eat healthfully and make better food choices.
- Food Safety For Consumers: Foodsafety.gov provides information on the latest recalls, food safety tips, information on food storage, cooking temperatures, how to handle food during natural disasters, and other helpful information to prevent foodborne illness.
- National Center for Home Food Preservation: The National Center for Home Food Preservation is your source for current research-based recommendations for most methods of home food preservation.
30 Days of Food Rescue: Social Media Campaign
- Toolkit: Use this toolkit as a guide for posting graphics and wording to go with the graphics.
- Graphics: There are 30 graphics to share in promoting food rescue.
31 Days of Preserving Safely at Home: Social Media Campaign
- Toolkit & Graphics: Use this toolkit as a guide for posting graphics and wording to go with the graphics. This toolkit also includes 31 graphics to help promote food preservation.