12923 Lawrence Road Sterling IL 61081
Bruce J. Black is the University of Illinois Extension Horticulture Educator serving Carroll, Lee, and Whiteside counties. He provides horticulture-related educational opportunities for community members, schools, Master Gardener volunteers, non-profit organizations, and businesses.
Black’s primary focus is addressing the different generational horticulture educational needs and inspiring the next generation of gardeners. His primary areas of expertise are in fruit and vegetable production, plant propagation, and community and youth garden education.
Black is 2014 graduate of Iowa State University receiving a Master’s of Agriculture in Professional Agriculture, and a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, with an emphasis in fruit and vegetable production (2013). As part of his master’s project, Black researched the effects of Master Gardeners teaching youth in a community garden. Black assisted in teaching three courses: plant propagation, hands-on horticulture, and herbaceous perennials.
- Illinois Extension Agricultural Association
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Pi Alpha Xi - The National Academic Honor Society for Horticulture
- National Association of County Agricultural Agents
- International Society for Horticultural Science
Journal of Extension, October 2016, Master Gardener–Led Lessons Increase Knowledge in Gardening and Environmental Science for Iowa Summer Camp Youth
Raise, Grow, Harvest, Eat, Repeat Blog
- Plant propagation
- Fruit and vegetable production
- Youth horticulture education
- Interdisciplinary State Team Excellence Award, University of Illinois Extension, 2016
- Search for Excellence in Consumer or Commercial Horticulture, State Winner, Illinois Extension Agricultural Association, 2016
- Communications Award, National Finalist - Team Newsletter Division, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2016
- Interdisciplinary State Team Excellence Award, University of Illinois Extension, 2018
- Action Award, Illinois Extension Agricultural Association, 2018
- Excellence in 4-H, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2019