Whether you're managing land in the country or you're an avid supporter of green spaces in urban areas, interest in expanding our understanding of the natural environment has never been higher. With an increased focus on sustainability, safety, and innovation, what we know about shepherding our energy and environmental resources has evolved rapidly in the past decade. In addition, we would like to bring your attention to our land acknowledgment.
If you have questions about best practices in environmental stewardship, you'll appreciate that our information is based on peer-reviewed science - the gold standard in determining the credibility and reliability of information.
Become a Master Naturalist
Our local land managers and environmental educators need your help. Find out ways to volunteer locally and earn the title of Master Naturalist through our volunteer training program. While our training is not required to volunteer at the organizations below, it sure does help! Plus, Master Naturalists get expanded opportunities to serve with Extension and beyond. Apply today.
Champaign County Forest Preserve District
Champaign Park District
Allerton Park and Retreat Center Logo
Vermilion County Conservation District
Native Plants at Meadowbrook Park Guide
We are so proud of our volunteers and partners' work to create this beautiful and accessible plant identification guide for Meadowbrook Park in Urbana, Illinois.
Learn more about the Natural World in Illinois
Spotlight on Natural Resources
Sustainability, Weather, and Climate
- Global Climate Change at Illinois: The access point for global climate change-related research conducted across campus at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- University of Illinois Center for the Economics of Sustainability: We are a world-class set of economists that collaborate with agronomists, scientists, engineers, legal scholars, and other researchers. We study tradeoffs, human behavior, and the allocation of scarce resources. The results? Sustainable food systems, reliable energy and water systems, healthy environments, and thriving communities.
- Illinois State Climatologist Office: Weather and climate data and maps.
- Midwest Regional Climate Center: Services and research help to better explain climate and its impacts on the Midwest.
- Water and Atmospheric Resources Monitoring Program (WARM): Research and data about Illinois conditions.
- Weather Video Series: Learn all about the weather with this informative video series.
- Winter Storm Resource Center: Tools for coping with severe winter weather.
- Disaster Resources: Quick access to information on disaster preparedness and recovery.
ENVIRONMENTAL STEWARDSHIP AT HOME
At Home Composting
Anita Purves Nature Center Youth Programs
Homer Lake Interpretive Center
Extension Take Home Kits
4-H Outdoor and Environmental Science Curriculum