What's it like in 4-H?
In 4-H, you get to decide what topics and projects interest you most. You make 4-H what you want it to be. Work on many projects or focus on one or two. Choose what events sound fun to you, and do them. In 4-H, you have an important role in making your community a better place to live, but you don’t have to do it alone. As a club, you’ll figure out what’s needed most in your neighborhood and find ways to help.
In 4-H, you’re part of a family working together. At club meetings, you’ll learn how to get along with others as you build your skills and help your community. In 4-H, you’ll meet adults who care about you and want to help you succeed. 4-H matches you with mentors who will coach you in areas like problem solving, communicating, and teamwork. 4-H introduces you to potential careers and then gives you the training to get the career you want.
Check out these 4-H Clubs in DeKalb County.
Local Events, Workshops, and Deadlines
2020-21 Illinois 4-H Project Guide
Best Practices for Officer Elections
Join 4-H Today
General Project Show and Livestock Fair Virtual Show
Community Service Survey
All of the following award applications are in a fillable PDF format. Before filling out the application, open the document in Adobe Acrobat and save it to your computer. Once the application is complete either mail it to: University of Illinois Extension 1350 West Prairie Drive Sycamore, IL 60178 or upload it to our Box File. All award applications are due no later than Friday, September 11, 2020.
- Brown Award for Leadership Application The purpose of this award is to recognize DeKalb County 4-H members who have developed the basic life skills needed to be good citizens and community leaders. The organizational leader of any DeKalb County 4-H Club may nominate one 4-H member from his/her club for this leadership award.
- I Dare You Award Application This award is for 4-H members, who are 14 – 16 as of September 1, 2019. 4-H members are selected for this award only once. 4-H Leaders can nominate a 4-H’er from their club to receive this award. The I Dare You Leadership Award recognizes those who, with a little encouragement, are ready to see themselves as leaders – young adults who are ready to take the dare. Leaders are encouraged to complete a brief award form addressing the nomination’s personal qualities that would make them an effective leader.
- Alumni Award
- Outstanding 4-H Supporter Application This award offers 4-H clubs the opportunity to recognize individuals, families, businesses, or organizations for their dedication, support and involvement with the DeKalb County 4-H program. 4-H clubs are encouraged to be creative and take this opportunity to recognize individuals that have assisted their 4-H club or the county 4-H program.
- Outstanding 4-H Volunteer Application This award gives 4-H clubs the opportunity to recognize any 4-H volunteer for their dedication and support of their club’s programming efforts, or at the county level. Individuals nominated need not be a 4-H alumni…they only have to have been a volunteer for the 4-H program.
- Use the record book for all the things you do in 4-H this year.
- Write 2-3 “Project Goals” for each project at the beginning of the 4-H year.
- Record participation in club offices, committees, projects, 4-H events, community service, promotions, leadership, school and community activities & 4-H ribbons/awards.
- This record book is your personal work. Handwriting or typing should be your own.
- You may add additional lines and spaces if needed.
- Your signature and that of your parent/guardian & leader are required. Electronic signatures are acceptable.
- Download your preferred format and save it to your computer. Then type in the requested information and save. Then Upload the completed record book.
- Directions on how to upload your record book: computer, iOS, android
- Illinois 4-H Scholarship: These merit-based scholarships are awarded to five Illinois 4-H members in each category listed below. Scholarships are $1,000 and can be used to pay for any college-related costs. Scholarships are paid directly to the educational institution of the member’s choice. Members must be 15-18 years old, be currently enrolled in the Illinois 4-H program and must have been a 4-H member for a minimum of 2 years. Online applications must be submitted to the State 4-H Office by November 1. Applicants will also need to request reference forms from two references. Categories include: Animal Science, Civic Engagement/Global Living, Food Systems, Healthy Living/Nutrition, Leadership, Natural Resources & Environmental Science, Personal Growth, and STEM/Robotics
- Foundation Educational Scholarship: Applicants must be current or past DeKalb County 4-H members, who are high school seniors or in an approved post-high school educational program (junior college, 4-year university, trade school, etc.). Applicants should also be a full time student. This application will be updated and due in the spring of 2021.
- 4-H Livestock Show Results
- Livestock Show Awards
- 4-H General Project Show Results
- General Projects Award Show - includes pictures of the award wining projects from the 2020 4-H General Project Show
- Virtual General Project Show - uploads due July 7
- Virtual Show upload requirements and tip sheet
- Project Report
- Directions on how to submit photos - This is VERY similar to how you would make your entry in past years in FairEntry, except at the end you upload your project instead of bringing it to the show. You need to have your project completed BEFORE beginning the submission process.
- Exhibit Tag - Print and place tag in bottom of photos taken. Can be handwritten on a note card or on a whiteboard if you don't have a printer.
- Virtual Livestock Fair - uploads due August 2
- Livestock Video Guidelines
- Updated List of Livestock Classes
- Directions on how to submit your entries - This is VERY similar to how you would make your entry in past years in FairEntry. After you have completed FairEntry then you will upload your video. See directions below.
- How to upload your video (you will need this for all live animal projects): computer, android, iOS
- Click here to upload your video - In the file description please include your name, project & class number to assist us in keeping track of videos
- Exhibit Tag - Print and include a close-up of tag in the beginning of your video. Can be handwritten on a piece of paper or on a whiteboard if you don't have a printer.
- 2020 DeKalb County Entire Fairbook
- 2019 4-H Blue Ribbon Auction Buyers & Contributors
- 2019 DeKalb County 4-H Award Sponsors