We are accepting up to 5 area teachers for participation in this week-long camp. Teachers would be involved in group facilitation during the camp and would also be asked to reflect on the experience and how he or she could use similar type programming to enhance their classroom experiences.
If selected, teachers would be asked to attend an orientation session, the week-long camp (which includes a workshop session with Bradley faculty), along with two follow-up sessions after the camp experience as they are implementing something they learned from the opportunity.
In addition to 40 hours of continuing education credits, teachers will be paid a $500 stipend for their participation in the camp.
- Orientation call: early June
- 4G STEM Camp: June 20-24, 8:30-4:30 p.m.
- Post event call: mid-August
- Implementation of project – fall 2022
- Project update at Teacher Tuesday – spring 2023
Teacher Track participants will attend 4G STEM Camp as learners and observers of how to work with community partners to enhance STEM career exploration. Teachers will also assist with various roles prior to, during, and after camp, including:
- Prior to camp, attend one orientation call and assist in preparations for planned events as needed.
- During the camp week:
- work with staff to implement activities and evaluations during the programming sessions
- foster the development of positive relationship between campers, staff, and teachers
- strive to assist campers in developing positive relationships with site hosts, setting up opportunities for follow-up and mentorship opportunities
- assist campers with adjusting to new situations by serving as a group leader for a small group
- assist with reflection activities at the end of the day with your small group
- encourage reflective process to help campers create their culminating project for the camp
- maintain a log or journal outlining experiences – will review at completion of camp week
- engage in self-reflection at the completion of each day on application to your classroom experiences
- identify and develop a value-added process, lesson plan or training that may be implemented within your school’s current curriculum – to be implemented in fall 2022
- After camp week:
- Participate in calls to discuss implementation of STEM career exploration activity in your school
- Implement STEM Career exploration with your students during fall 2022 semester
- Share implementation with other teachers via workshop, blog post or video.
- Have a teaching position working with 6th, 7th or 8th grade youth in a STEM related field (preferred)
- Have energy and enthusiasm for implementing a new STEM career exploration project in your school
To apply: Teachers apply online no later than May 23. Selection of teacher participants will be made by early-June. Teachers are eligible for 40 hours of continuing education credits and a $500 stipend for their participation in the camp.
Judy Schmidt, 4-H metro youth educator
University of Illinois Extension | Fulton-Mason-Peoria-Tazewell Unit | 4810 North Sheridan Road Peoria, IL61614
Phone: (309) 685-3140 | Fax: (309) 685-3397 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can share this flyer with others who may be interested in 4G STEM Camp Teachers Track.