URBANA, Ill — The East Central Illinois Master Naturalists are once again hosting their Native Tree and Shrub Sale. The ordering period will be open from September 5th through October 13 or as supplies last. The pick-up will be at the Urbana Park District Planning and Operations Facility at 1011 Kerr Ave., Urbana, IL 61802, in the afternoon of October 20 and from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. October 21. Plants can be ordered at go.illinois.edu/NativeSale.
The Master Naturalists are offering each plant for $30. They are offering nine different types of native trees and nine types of native shrubs.
Interested in planting more native trees and shrubs in your yard but unsure where to start? University of Illinois Extension Educator Ryan Pankau will present Selecting Native Trees and Shrubs on October 3 at 7 p.m. in the Extension Auditorium at 801 N Country Fair Dr., Champaign, IL 61821. This presentation is also part of Extension's involvement with Climate Action Week and will help educate you on the trees available.
- Allegheny Serviceberry (Amelanchier laevis)
- Bur Oak (Quercus macrocarpa)
- Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis)
- Northern Pecan (Carya illinoinensis)
- Redbud (Cercis canadensis)
- Red Oak (Quercus rubra)
- River Birch (Betula nigra)
- Swamp White Oak (Quercus bicolor)
- American Witch-Hazel (Hamamelis virginiana)
- Arrowwood Viburnum (Viburnum dentatum)
- Black Chokeberry (Aronia melanocarpa)
- Elderberry (Sambucus canadensis)
- Ninebark (Physocarpus opulifolius)
- New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus americanus)
- Shrubby St. John's Wort (Hypericum prolificum)
- Smooth Sumac (Rhus glabra)
- Winterberry (Ilex verticillata)
Illinois Extension leads public outreach for University of Illinois by translating research into action plans that allow Illinois families, businesses, and community leaders to solve problems, make informed decisions, and adapt to changes and opportunities. Illinois Extension is part of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences.