Nutrition Facts Face-Off!
Hash Brown Casserole (Printable PDF Version)
Makes 8 servings
32 oz package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (or 8 cups shredded fresh potatoes)*
1 medium onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 can 98% fat free condensed cream of chicken soup**
8 oz fat-free sour cream
8 oz shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon butter, melted
½ cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 13x9" casserole dish.
- Squeeze any excess moisture out of potatoes with paper towels.
- In a large bowl, mix together potatoes, onion, condensed soup, sour cream, and 4 oz (1 cup) cheddar cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix breadcrumbs and melted butter with a fork.
- Pour potato mixture into prepared dish and top with remaining cheese, followed by the butter and breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake uncovered for about 40 minutes or until bubbly. If desired, broil on high for 1-2 minutes for additional browning. Watch carefully so topping doesn't burn.
*Alternate version: Substitute 8 cups shredded zucchini in place of potatoes to cut down calories and carbohydrates further. As with potatoes, make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture with paper towels.
**You could also try using cream of mushroom or cream of potato. For extra cheesiness, use a low-fat condensed cheddar soup.